Skip to main content

Asymmetry

I started making some playlists of Parkinsons related videos to add to the new Tremr YouTube channel today. In one of the videos as Michael J. Fox goes out to meet other Parkinson's patients he describes each patient as having their own version of Parkinsons. I think that sums up the weird cocktail of symptoms that affect us quite well.

In my version, a lack of dexterity in my right hand is what brought the disease to my attention and more recently I have noticed that my smile has become more crooked and that my right leg lags behind more than it did. Eventually I got round to searching "asymmetry Parkinson's". I seem to have spent a lot of time discussing unknowns and riddles in my entries so far so it wasn't a huge surprise to find the top hit is a paper titled "The mystery of motor asymmetry in Parkinson's disease". The abstract goes on to discuss the unknown cause of this asymmetric onset. The reality is that, even with recent strides in science and technology, the brain and its functions remain very difficult to study.

Since being diagnosed with Parkinsons I have found it hard to tell those close to me that I have it. It feels like something that needs to be said because your life is going to change in all sorts of ways which your friends, family and colleagues will find baffling if you don't tell them. As a thoroughly British man though, I have (with some exceptions) preferred to wait for it to come up in conversation. You know, that moment in every social situation where the person speaking interrupts their train of thought to ask in general, "oh, by the way, has anyone been diagnosed with any serious illnesses since we last met?" For some reason that never seemed to happen so, after a couple of years, I gave up on that idea and announced it using my Facebook account. Even then, it felt too awkward to be completely straight about it so instead I wrapped it up in a visual experiment where I showed three photos: the first was was the right side of my face as normal with its mirror image on the left, the second was just normal me and the last was the my left side reflected so that it was on both sides. Hopefully it will be clearer when you see the pictures!

An asymmetric leaf

On that occasion I was quite overcome to be reminded of how loving my friends and family are. One of my oldest friends even remarked how handsome the square jawed 'right me' was. Its a football cliche that you are never more vulnerable than when you have just scored a goal. I have learned that it is also wise to be on your guard when a male friend has just complimented you. My friend's message was sympathetic and supportive but balanced his compliment by saying that 'left me' looked like Dobby the elf from Harry Potter. This time I was determined not to look like Dobby so I made some new pictures. There are three diagrams below that show which way around the photo is. If you click on one of the diagrams it should change to show the photo.

I was surprised again at how different the two alternative mes looked. My second observation was that my friend was spot on, I am half Dobby. Lastly, I noted that in right-world I now have two paving slabs to get rid of.

The muscles on the right side of my face don't respond as well as those on my left so it is less expressive. This is called facial masking or hypomimia and is a very common symptom of Parkinsons. It seems I can look forward to a future of becoming increasingly handsome as my grin becomes less manic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Dog

I used to think that the surest way to kill a conversation was to announce "I work in Computing." Panic would grip my respondent and their eyes would dart around the room like a trapped animal. "Err, I'm just going to get another drink," they might say after hastily draining their glass. They would slope off before latching onto someone (anyone) else. I was wrong. There were occasions where somebody had a problem that they thought I might be able to help with so we would talk for a while at least. In my last blog entry I described how Parkinson's was affecting my concentration and how that was making it difficult to do my job. At the time I was hopeful that I would be able to push through those problems and persevere but it hasn't turned out that way. I've been off sick for some time now as we seek a resolution. I keep busy by doing stuff around the house and garden (you probably would not believe m

I Heard it Through the Grapevine

My neurologist is a very nice man. He listens well and is faultlessly polite. It is the sort of job where compassion and good observation are called for and he has both in abundance. I think we get on pretty well. At each appointment he asks me to run through a series of exercises to see how my Parkinson's is progressing. There's "play the piano" - hold your hands level and wiggle your fingers as if playing an imaginary keyboard. The Neurology pianoes were never going survive Andrew Lansley's sweeping NHS reforms as part of David Cameron's government's austerity measures and there is a slight downward trend in the number of organ donations in the UK. In another test he stands behind me and pulls me backwards to see how well I resist. As far as I can tell, he has never made the rabbit ears gesture behind my head or made silly faces. I suppose I don't really know but it doesn't feel like it. This test requires tr

How Did This Happen?

For months, maybe years, after I was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease I picked at my memories trying to determine how and when I developed it as if I could go back in time and change it. It is a completely pointless exercise since current research is unclear whether the cause is genetic or environmental . I have mentally dismissed the genetics component so that I don't have to contemplate the implications for my children. That leaves me with plenty of scope for trawling through all the stupid things that I have done in my life that might have been the decisive environmental factor. Could it have been the time when, after an all day drinking session I fell into a deep sleep while I was sat on a bar stool? I toppled backwards, still asleep and my fall was broken by the back of my head hitting the corner of the skirting board. Head injuries do seem to be quite a common factor in the development of PD so its possible. That was 20 years ago and I was diagnosed only five years ago so t