Skip to main content

All You Need is Love

Why do we make art, be it painting, music, film, sculpture, poetry, or whatever? There must be countless reasons. For me, it is about trying to capture something beautiful or otherwise noteworthy that I’ve experienced or maybe dreamt. The most basic aim is to create something that triggers a memory of the ephemera that caught my attention. Better than that would be to fashion a thing that communicates the passion that inspired me to those close to me. If I’ve done a really good job, it may even appeal to those outside my circle. That would be nice but it is, for me, a smaller concern.

The thought of putting a smile on the face of one you love is appealing. It’s why we give presents on birthdays and at Christmas. It is part of love.

I got a paper round when I was about fourteen. It paid pretty badly but it meant that I had a bit more money at least. Up until then, my Mum had very kindly and judiciously bought Christmas presents on my behalf. That year, I chose and paid for presents myself, for close family at least. They were pretty paltry but it felt great.

We spent most Christmas’ as part of a big gathering of relatives at my grandparents’ house. It was a smallish house but it had a big garden which looked out to the rolling Surrey countryside. My brother and I used to spend a lot of time in the garden so I guess that was on my mind when I bought a beginner’s gardening kit from Boots for my Nanna’s gift. My memory isn’t great but looking back, my Granddad was a keen birdwatcher so I think that the garden was left quite wild with that in mind. I was eager to see people’s reactions when they opened their presents but I think that must have been trumped by my excitement about opening my own gifts so I was distracted when I heard Nanna ask,

Who got me this?”

I looked up to see her holding the gardening kit. I loved her dearly but she was a formidable lady so it was timorously that I confessed,

“That was me.”

Her expression softened and she said

“Oh! Lovely! Thank you dear, that’s very thoughtful.”

Sometimes we get it wrong. I suppose Nanna was asking

“Which of you knows me so badly?”

It was a quick turnaround but I’m sure her thanks were genuine when she realised my mistake. All the same, I played it safe from that year onwards and got quite adept at wrapping Nanna’s favourite Mon Cheri chocolates.

It probably sounds pretentious but I think of artistic creations as kind of non-targetted gifts to the world. Great artists give us Ferraris while most of the rest of us are giving Boots beginner gardening kits.

As my Parkinsons progresses, I spend an increasing amount of time at home. Going in to work makes me tired and anxious. Alcohol disagrees with my medication so I’m less inclined to join friends for pub outings.

Instead I spend my spare time writing blogs or making music. I’m quite happy with both though I’m aware that both fall in the beginner’s garden kit territory. I use social media to distribute them in the hope of putting a smile on someone’s face or even artificially creating a shared experience that we could chat about.

I suppose the difference is that I am asking for a couple of minutes of someone’s valuable time in exchange. When I post something on social media, I’m asking if anyone cares enough about me to spare that time and accept the gift as it was intended at the risk of finding that it’s not really what they wanted just because we are friends. We all need affirmation sometimes and that is especially so in the case of people with Parkinsons. We’re all involuntarily looking for that dopamine rush.

With notable exceptions, it often feels like the answer to my question is ‘no.’

I’ve tried improving my music and writing to make the gifts more palatable but I can see from my feedback that no one listens or reads anyway. Like Robinson Crusoe discovering a message in a bottle washed on to the beach only to find that it is the message that he sent last year.

As John Lennon said, “All You Need is Love,” but sometimes it can seem hard to come by. And without love, what is the point?

Facebook and Twitter bombard us with information and less and less of it is actually from the people that we are there to hear from. And, of course, when one of my messages does get through, the question that I'm posing is just in my head. I'm as bad as the next person at consuming information without responding. In fact, I get quite irritated by the barrage of emails asking 'how did we do?'

This week I've been reminded that I have many great friends who are there for me when I need them. Thanks friends! x

Comments

  1. This is beautifully written, so full of feeling. love Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading your post and felt compelled to share…..

    I’ve definately used the time Parkinson’s has given me around the house to follow some of those threads of a creative idea down the rabbit hole. Where before it would come and go quickly, reprioritised behind that deadline, or that train to catch, I now indulge myself. Or at least it can feel indulgent…. It’s lovely that you see your artistic pursuits as opportunities to share…as gifts.. I very rarely see the end product or the results of the hours I spend but I’m learning to think that’s ok though and I think that’s why I felt compelled to share after reading your post……

    I subscribe to the idea that modern life suppresses the basic urge to be creative that is an essential part of being human, not just a human with Parkinson’s.

    It doesn’t matter what you create, if it’s good or bad… if the message lands…. It doesn’t even matter if ‘it’ ever becomes a thing at all. Just taking the time to write something, or draw something, or sing or dance or whatever… makes you a happier, kinder person. It’s what kids do and as we become adults we lose or repress that ability. Of course great things are created, things that resonate through others and across time but when it doesn’t do any of that it is still very precious.

    Hope you don’t mind me reaching out. I think your post has conspired with just starting to read ‘The Little Prince’ again with my little boy.😄 …..Have you read it? …..We started it together just last night. It’s wonderful!
    I love the Pilot’s story about his drawing of the Boa-constrictor eating an Elephant and how he uses it to seek enlightened people…. If you’ve not read it I won’t spoil it, if you have you’ll know what I mean….

    I think I’ve shared enough. Thanks for stimulating some thought in my deteriorating grey matter and keep doing it and enjoying it, at least as much for yourself as for anyone else. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. Thanks too for recommending ''The Little Prince.' I haven't come across it before but I shall be on the lookout for it. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Black Dog

I used to think that the surest way to kill a conversation was to announce "I work in Computing." Panic would grip my respondent and their eyes would dart around the room like a trapped animal. "Err, I'm just going to get another drink," they might say after hastily draining their glass. They would slope off before latching onto someone (anyone) else. I was wrong. There were occasions where somebody had a problem that they thought I might be able to help with so we would talk for a while at least. In my last blog entry I described how Parkinson's was affecting my concentration and how that was making it difficult to do my job. At the time I was hopeful that I would be able to push through those problems and persevere but it hasn't turned out that way. I've been off sick for some time now as we seek a resolution. I keep busy by doing stuff around the house and garden (you probably would not believe m

I Heard it Through the Grapevine

My neurologist is a very nice man. He listens well and is faultlessly polite. It is the sort of job where compassion and good observation are called for and he has both in abundance. I think we get on pretty well. At each appointment he asks me to run through a series of exercises to see how my Parkinson's is progressing. There's "play the piano" - hold your hands level and wiggle your fingers as if playing an imaginary keyboard. The Neurology pianoes were never going survive Andrew Lansley's sweeping NHS reforms as part of David Cameron's government's austerity measures and there is a slight downward trend in the number of organ donations in the UK. In another test he stands behind me and pulls me backwards to see how well I resist. As far as I can tell, he has never made the rabbit ears gesture behind my head or made silly faces. I suppose I don't really know but it doesn't feel like it. This test requires tr

How Did This Happen?

For months, maybe years, after I was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease I picked at my memories trying to determine how and when I developed it as if I could go back in time and change it. It is a completely pointless exercise since current research is unclear whether the cause is genetic or environmental . I have mentally dismissed the genetics component so that I don't have to contemplate the implications for my children. That leaves me with plenty of scope for trawling through all the stupid things that I have done in my life that might have been the decisive environmental factor. Could it have been the time when, after an all day drinking session I fell into a deep sleep while I was sat on a bar stool? I toppled backwards, still asleep and my fall was broken by the back of my head hitting the corner of the skirting board. Head injuries do seem to be quite a common factor in the development of PD so its possible. That was 20 years ago and I was diagnosed only five years ago so t