Skip to main content

Black Dog

I used to think that the surest way to kill a conversation was to announce "I work in Computing." Panic would grip my respondent and their eyes would dart around the room like a trapped animal.

"Err, I'm just going to get another drink," they might say after hastily draining their glass. They would slope off before latching onto someone (anyone) else.

I was wrong. There were occasions where somebody had a problem that they thought I might be able to help with so we would talk for a while at least.

In my last blog entry I described how Parkinson's was affecting my concentration and how that was making it difficult to do my job. At the time I was hopeful that I would be able to push through those problems and persevere but it hasn't turned out that way. I've been off sick for some time now as we seek a resolution.

I keep busy by doing stuff around the house and garden (you probably would not believe me if you saw our house or garden), writing blogs, making music or playing football. I enjoy them all but it is quite a solitary existence. I guess we all like to talk about our recent experiences when we meet with others. It has taken me a while to realise that there is quite a shallow reservoir of patience for talking about one's solitary pastimes.

I get it. No one asked me to write a blog or make a new tune and the music or reading we enjoy is highly subjective. Conversations are uncomfortable. People are already busy without the prospect of wading through some amateur writing or music. Perhaps they have already read something or listened to something of mine and just didn't like it. Perhaps they even did like it but they have had enough for the time being at least and have given as much feedback as they are comfortable with. I keep doing it because I like it and it helps me but pained expressions and muted responses remind me that I drained the reservoir long ago. But what is writing without a reader or music without a listener?

I use Twitter quite a lot to see if there is any interest in what I do. I have a few profiles reflecting my different interests. I have made what I consider to be good friends there without having met them. I have hundreds of followers but if I post new content there, I know from experience that there will be zero response. Perhaps there are too many producers and not enough consumers in the world.

A few years ago this unimpeachable anonymity would have suited me down to the ground but then I had friends and a social life that brought with it anecdotes that would bring smiles to people's faces as I recounted them. This new me carries with it an odour that hangs in the air, stifling conversation. No wonder I'm not high on anyone's invitation list any more.

And so it falls to my close family and friends to keep me company. But they have their limits too and their patience inevitably wears thin. The last thing I want to do is make my loved ones miserable. I feel hopeless, useless and lost.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Parkinson's is not the gift anyone wishes to receive and it does invade our lives and those of our families & friends. You will however find many ppl in the wider parkinsons community who will share their experience warmth & humour , should you wish it. I have lived with PD coming up 20yrs now & I am still enjoying a good life although more complex the humour and love still exist if you wish it. Barrie Smith aka Shakeybloke

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Barrie! I suppose I know all this really but every now and then I dig a big hole for myself and then wonder why it's so dark!

      Delete
  2. I am 11 years along the rocky road that is Parkinson's. Friendships are difficult to maintain in the context of fitting plans around the medication regime. All I can say is just keep trying.
    I know thats not particularly helpful, but my small number of good friends are valuable to me.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for reading and for reaching out. A few days on, the clouds have lifted and I can see that I have a great deal to be thankful for. Very best wishes, Matt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Heard it Through the Grapevine

My neurologist is a very nice man. He listens well and is faultlessly polite. It is the sort of job where compassion and good observation are called for and he has both in abundance. I think we get on pretty well. At each appointment he asks me to run through a series of exercises to see how my Parkinson's is progressing. There's "play the piano" - hold your hands level and wiggle your fingers as if playing an imaginary keyboard. The Neurology pianoes were never going survive Andrew Lansley's sweeping NHS reforms as part of David Cameron's government's austerity measures and there is a slight downward trend in the number of organ donations in the UK. In another test he stands behind me and pulls me backwards to see how well I resist. As far as I can tell, he has never made the rabbit ears gesture behind my head or made silly faces. I suppose I don't really know but it doesn't feel like it. This test requires tr

How Did This Happen?

For months, maybe years, after I was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease I picked at my memories trying to determine how and when I developed it as if I could go back in time and change it. It is a completely pointless exercise since current research is unclear whether the cause is genetic or environmental . I have mentally dismissed the genetics component so that I don't have to contemplate the implications for my children. That leaves me with plenty of scope for trawling through all the stupid things that I have done in my life that might have been the decisive environmental factor. Could it have been the time when, after an all day drinking session I fell into a deep sleep while I was sat on a bar stool? I toppled backwards, still asleep and my fall was broken by the back of my head hitting the corner of the skirting board. Head injuries do seem to be quite a common factor in the development of PD so its possible. That was 20 years ago and I was diagnosed only five years ago so t