Skip to main content

Dopamine

I guess that anyone with any experience of Parkinsons is familiar with dopamine. It (or the lack of it) is the root of the condition. The NHS website describes it succinctly:

Parkinson's disease is caused by a loss of nerve cells in part of the brain called the substantia nigra. This leads to a reduction in a chemical called dopamine in the brain.

Dopamine is an important neurotransmitter, that is, a chemical that stimulates neighbouring cells to transmit messages around the nervous system. Just about everything our bodies do depends on communication from our brains so as these transmitters diminish, we can expect all manner of symptoms.

A dopamine molecule

I delayed speaking to my GP for several years after noticing that I was finding it more difficult to move my right hand probably due to fear and denial. I think it was my wife who persuaded me that I really ought to have it looked at. I asked for an appointment to see a GP at my local surgery but, in their wisdom, they made an appointment with their nurse practitioner instead. He checked me over, tested my reflexes and, to my relief, told me that it was nothing neurological and diagnosed a frozen shoulder.

On his advice, I bought a massage ball to use on that shoulder and booked an appointment with the occupational health representative at work. She was very helpful and made a number of useful recommendations to relieve any stress that I was putting on that shoulder. She mentioned that they had an arrangement with a local physiotherapist and that I could have three one hour appointments with her if I wanted. I had heard great things about her from a number of colleagues so I thought 'why not?'

It was a gloomy day when I cycled over to her practice but I was in good spirits and went with high hopes. I was given a questionnaire to fill in before I saw her. I answered as honestly as I could but my answers seemed vague and unhelpful even to me. We started the appointment by going through the questionnaire. This was about five years ago now but I can remember a creeping dread coming over me as we both started to realise that the reason my answers were vague was because the questions were designed to diagnose something different from what I had been experiencing.

"Do you feel like you are sending the messages to move but that they are not getting through?" she asked.

I tried to protest, still in denial, but that was exactly how it felt. We take it for granted that when we think we are going to turn our toothbrush to clean the back of our teeth, our fingers will respond and just turn the toothbrush. I was finding that process was taking anything up to about 30 seconds. It became clear that physiotherapy was not going to solve my problem so she typed a letter to my GP to say that all the indications suggested to her that I either had Parkinson's Disease or that there was a brain tumour pressing against a nerve that was preventing signals from getting to my right hand. She handed it to me and told me earnestly that it was very important that my GP read the letter as soon as possible.

It was difficult to absorb the information and its consequences but I felt a strange sense of relief that I had a name for my symptoms. I have read a number of accounts of other Parkinson's patients saying much the same since.

The next morning I stopped at the health centre on my way to work. It was busy (its always busy) so I queued with my letter for twenty minutes. Finally, it was my turn. I handed the letter to the receptionist and repeated "it is very important that my GP reads this as soon as possible." The receptionist wearily looked me in the eye, took the letter, put it on a pile and called the next in line. After a week, it was obvious that it wasn't so important to my health centre. I tried to complain to try and move the process along but it sounded like that process would take even longer. About a month later, the letter had risen to the top of someone's in tray and I finally saw a GP who arranged an MRI scan and a Neurology appointment. Fortunately, I didn't have a brain tumour. Unfortunately that meant that I did have Parkinson's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Dog

I used to think that the surest way to kill a conversation was to announce "I work in Computing." Panic would grip my respondent and their eyes would dart around the room like a trapped animal. "Err, I'm just going to get another drink," they might say after hastily draining their glass. They would slope off before latching onto someone (anyone) else. I was wrong. There were occasions where somebody had a problem that they thought I might be able to help with so we would talk for a while at least. In my last blog entry I described how Parkinson's was affecting my concentration and how that was making it difficult to do my job. At the time I was hopeful that I would be able to push through those problems and persevere but it hasn't turned out that way. I've been off sick for some time now as we seek a resolution. I keep busy by doing stuff around the house and garden (you probably would not believe m

I Heard it Through the Grapevine

My neurologist is a very nice man. He listens well and is faultlessly polite. It is the sort of job where compassion and good observation are called for and he has both in abundance. I think we get on pretty well. At each appointment he asks me to run through a series of exercises to see how my Parkinson's is progressing. There's "play the piano" - hold your hands level and wiggle your fingers as if playing an imaginary keyboard. The Neurology pianoes were never going survive Andrew Lansley's sweeping NHS reforms as part of David Cameron's government's austerity measures and there is a slight downward trend in the number of organ donations in the UK. In another test he stands behind me and pulls me backwards to see how well I resist. As far as I can tell, he has never made the rabbit ears gesture behind my head or made silly faces. I suppose I don't really know but it doesn't feel like it. This test requires tr

How Did This Happen?

For months, maybe years, after I was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease I picked at my memories trying to determine how and when I developed it as if I could go back in time and change it. It is a completely pointless exercise since current research is unclear whether the cause is genetic or environmental . I have mentally dismissed the genetics component so that I don't have to contemplate the implications for my children. That leaves me with plenty of scope for trawling through all the stupid things that I have done in my life that might have been the decisive environmental factor. Could it have been the time when, after an all day drinking session I fell into a deep sleep while I was sat on a bar stool? I toppled backwards, still asleep and my fall was broken by the back of my head hitting the corner of the skirting board. Head injuries do seem to be quite a common factor in the development of PD so its possible. That was 20 years ago and I was diagnosed only five years ago so t