Skip to main content

Creativity

Its nearly a year since I started this blog with the grand ambition of making it a shared platform for anyone whose life had been touched by Parkinson's. I was thrilled that several people accepted my invitation to contribute and I'm very grateful to Linda and Tricia who were generous enough to submit their respective stories [1, 2] which you can still read today. My host site, Blogger, makes it possible to create a shared blog along those lines but I hadn't realised how complicated that process was. If there is anyone who would still like to contribute, I'd be delighted to help with that but I appreciate why the complexity is off-putting.

I was reminded this week of something that Linda wrote on the Facebook group where I met her around the time when all this started. In one thread she said that she believed that Parkinson's had brought out a creative streak in her. My initial response was to question how a degenerative neurological condition could improve some forms of cognition but over the year I have gradually come around to Linda's idea.

There has been some discussion in recent years about neurogenesis, the idea that neuron cells may be able to regenerate. This would seem to contradict earlier evidence and most neurologists are yet to be convinced. If it can be shown to be a genuine phenomenon, it would be in a much more limited capacity than normal cell division. It is one of the factors that makes the condition so difficult to treat. In a Parkinson's brain, α-synuclein proteins form clusters (Lewy bodies) around neurons, inhibiting the cell repair of that cell. When we consider the idea of a finite number of neurons dwindling as Lewy bodies starve them of vital repairs, it is difficult to imagine how this could result in a post PD diagnosis creative flourish. 

Personal experience tells me that this is not the whole picture though. I have noticed improved dexterity on my left side that goes a little way towards compensating for the reduction in dexterity on my right for instance. I have seen that exercise also has a role to play. At the Sport Parkinsons Try-athlon, it was incredible to see the transformation in people's movement when they had a ball at their feet. 

Brain function is a difficult thing to map. My understanding is that there isn't a single region that controls our legs for example. MRI scans would probably show different areas lighting up when we think about walking than when we think about kicking a ball which could explain the improvement in our movement when we took to the football field.

I wonder if my improved motor skills on my left side are an example of neuroplasticity which Oxford Reference define as:

the ability of the brain to develop new neurons and/or new synapses in response to stimulation and learning. Recent research shows that the brain retains its plasticity throughout life, more or less, depending on the person’s state of health, etc. Following injury to the brain, neuroplasticity may allow uninjured areas to take over the processes previously carried out by the injured areas.

The idea that people with a dominant right hemisphere are more creative is a bit of a myth but as different areas of the brain become active it seems plausible that its neurons may form different connections in a way that promotes creativity.

Since I read Linda's comment, I feel like I have had a more creative period than at any other point of my life. There is this blog, of course, if you consider that to be creative and I've also become a bit obsessive about photography. I estimate that I have taken around 8000 photos in the past year. My tremor leads to mixed results which has led me to experiment with filters and colour transformations to try and abstract away the imperfections. I was happy enough with the results of some of those experiments to tentatively submit them to the Parkinson's Art web site and I am hugely grateful to them and proud to say that they have created a page for those pictures. I'm not going to win any competitions or anything but I enjoyed the experience of creating the images and it is very rewarding to be able to share them.

The stated mission of Parkinson's Art is:

To inspire and develop creativity across the Parkinson's community.
I encourage you to visit their site where you will see the work of some truly talented artists (and me) that give ample evidence that they are meeting that brief and much more.

Although neuroplasticity may be a factor in this burst of creativity, in my case at least, I think that there is another, more significant factor. Compulsive behaviour is both a symptom of the condition and a side effect of most of the medication used to treat Parkinson's. Whenever I post a link to one of these entries, I fretfully check for comments or likes and then frequently leave the group where I posted it, convinced that I've made a fool of myself. I was talking to my wife about this destructive tendency recently and she said "Its all compulsive behaviour: Facebook, your blog, your photography." She is almost certainly right, after all, she is in a better position to judge than anyone. Perhaps that feeling of compulsion has helped me follow up on what would have normally remained unrealised ambitions floating around my consciousness.

Comments

  1. Another informative and interesting read Matt. Your photos show yet another area of your creativity. They are great! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Black Dog

I used to think that the surest way to kill a conversation was to announce "I work in Computing." Panic would grip my respondent and their eyes would dart around the room like a trapped animal. "Err, I'm just going to get another drink," they might say after hastily draining their glass. They would slope off before latching onto someone (anyone) else. I was wrong. There were occasions where somebody had a problem that they thought I might be able to help with so we would talk for a while at least. In my last blog entry I described how Parkinson's was affecting my concentration and how that was making it difficult to do my job. At the time I was hopeful that I would be able to push through those problems and persevere but it hasn't turned out that way. I've been off sick for some time now as we seek a resolution. I keep busy by doing stuff around the house and garden (you probably would not believe m

I Heard it Through the Grapevine

My neurologist is a very nice man. He listens well and is faultlessly polite. It is the sort of job where compassion and good observation are called for and he has both in abundance. I think we get on pretty well. At each appointment he asks me to run through a series of exercises to see how my Parkinson's is progressing. There's "play the piano" - hold your hands level and wiggle your fingers as if playing an imaginary keyboard. The Neurology pianoes were never going survive Andrew Lansley's sweeping NHS reforms as part of David Cameron's government's austerity measures and there is a slight downward trend in the number of organ donations in the UK. In another test he stands behind me and pulls me backwards to see how well I resist. As far as I can tell, he has never made the rabbit ears gesture behind my head or made silly faces. I suppose I don't really know but it doesn't feel like it. This test requires tr

How Did This Happen?

For months, maybe years, after I was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease I picked at my memories trying to determine how and when I developed it as if I could go back in time and change it. It is a completely pointless exercise since current research is unclear whether the cause is genetic or environmental . I have mentally dismissed the genetics component so that I don't have to contemplate the implications for my children. That leaves me with plenty of scope for trawling through all the stupid things that I have done in my life that might have been the decisive environmental factor. Could it have been the time when, after an all day drinking session I fell into a deep sleep while I was sat on a bar stool? I toppled backwards, still asleep and my fall was broken by the back of my head hitting the corner of the skirting board. Head injuries do seem to be quite a common factor in the development of PD so its possible. That was 20 years ago and I was diagnosed only five years ago so t